Clear All

• NMCA rule Changes

Click image for larger version

Name:	309609586_5619283194784140_8179750024133284466_n.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	310

Attention Racers—2023 Rule Request Submission Due Date Looming
    In an effort to serve our racers better, NMCA would like to kick-off the 2023 rules discussion. With that in mind, please submit rule requests for the 2023 NMCA drag racing series by October 23, 2022. Our Tech Department will begin evaluating requests to help form the 2023 Preliminary Rules for next season. We value all of your input and while not all requests are granted, each one is studied and determined if it is in the best interest of the category.
    Please submit your 2023 Preliminary Rule requests to: NMCARules@ProMediaPub.com
    Please make sure to include your Name, NMCA car number, and supporting information. Rule requests will ONLY be accepted via e-mail.
    https://www.nmcadigital.com/.../attention-racers2023.../1970
    Please register to post, add this forum to your Browser's start tabs &actively participate!

I'm going to state my opinion, it may or may not be popular

Equipment Changes

I personally think we've seen more than enough laxing of carburetor, intake and transmission rules - and I would hope we don't go further at this time. The Class was originally formed to feature Intermediate size, big block, multicarb cars from 1959-1967. Those cars were to appear as they did in the day. An exception was made to not have cubic inch displacement or weight as a tech item. There was also allowance for some safety items like disc brakes. We kinda got away from some of that with belt drives, horizontal distributors, exhaust coming through holes in front fenders, sheet metal intakes, carbs breaking the plane if the hood, single carbs, AVS and 4150 carb where AFB was the rule prior, 5-speeds and clutchless transmissions, and transbrake valvebodies with the promise not to use. I think we should stop modifying the rules to fit the car wanting access.

Cars

A couple of compacts and Pony cars snuck in some years back, and when the camel got his nose under the tent, Mustangs, Camaros, Novas and others screamed me too.

It is very true that our class has aged. I was 47 (one of the younger guys) when I started racing NSS, now I'm 67. We do need fresh blood, and some say that means Pony cars. I disagree. NMCA now has a Stock and Super Stock Classes that they fit into perfectly.

I think a better way to open the Class some more would be to extend the years of Intermediate Big Block Cars to up to and including 1971. 1971 was considered the pinnacle of American Horse Power. Between Insurance companies and Net HP ratings starting in 1972, we saw horsepower vaporize.

My suggestion allows such great Muscle Cars as:
    • 68-71 Chargers
    • 68-71 Coronets, RTs and Super Bees
    • 68-71 Satellite, Road Runners and GTX
    • 68-71 Torinos, Fairlaines, Montegos and Cyclones
    • 68-71 Cutlass and 442
    • 68-71 Specials, Skylawks and Grand Sports
    • 68-71 Chevelles and Monte Carlo
    • 68-71 Tempest, Lemans, GTOs and Grand Prix
    • 68-71 Matador/The Machine Big Blocks
    Many of these car's look very similar to the 67 down Intermediates and I think better preserve the original intention of the class; rather than opening it up to Mustangs, Camaros and Novas.

As stubborn as I am, I do recognize that some concession needs to be made as the 63-65 Mopars do not attract younger (40-60) racers. I think there are far more Racers in the 68-71 cars mentioned above, than are currently in NSS. They're very popular with the 40up crowd.

What say you?

Please register to post, add this forum to your Browser's start tabs &actively participate!

Comment

Working...
    X